Wednesday, September 29, 2010
Tuesday, September 28, 2010
I've been having an extremely frustrating problem over the last month ... in one word: labeling. My latest labeling challenge, was that Geoserver refused to show labels for many buildings. I tried all kinds of things ... isolating the buildings layer, checking my query order, changing conflicts/overlap options ... pretty much anything I could think of to get labels to display.
Finally, I figured it out! There is an obscured parameter in older ('stable') versions of Geoserver, which was finally exposed through SLD vendorOption in the latest release of Geoserver/Geotools. This parameter MIN_GOODNESS_FIT is used when labeling polygons in particular. Based on MIN_GOODNESS_FIT geotools determines if From geoserver docs:
Geoserver will remove labels if they are a particularly bad fit for the geometry they are labeling.
the default value is 0.5, so anything lower will allow more lables to be placed.
Thursday, September 16, 2010
I was ultimately not able to deal with cutoff labels in Mapnik (or labels not being placed because of tile/overlap issues), so I went with Geoserver for the UD campus map project. The WebTileCache automatically tilecaches all services ... only challenge is to use SLD for styling.